Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Question #6_ Brave New World


*Please choose one passage from the novel that is significant to you.
*Why is this passage meaningful?
*Please type it into one of your entries and comment on what you think about the passage.


“Alpha children wear grey. They work much harder than we do, because they’re so clever. I’m really glad I’m a Beta, because I don’t work so hard. And then we are much better than the Gammas and Deltas. Gammas are stupid. They all wear green, and Delta children wear light brown. Oh no, I don’t want to play with Delta children. And Epsilons are even worse.”

This passage was really significant to me. In the book of Brave New World, they condition the future human beings into the way that the World Leaders want them to be. They are, in another word, brainwashed. Since the day they were born, no, since the day that they existed in the world, they get to have a fixed thought on everything they go through. How can this be possible? Don’t they have the human rights? They are like “human-looking” robots! This passage I chose is one step of the conditioning. When the babies are sleeping, they turn on the recordings of these words, and repeat them over and over. So without knowing, this would be stuck in their head. The caste system is a really big deal in this book; however, unlike the world that “I” am living in, everyone is satisfied with their level in the society. I guess that is why they developed the “conditioning” system; it prevents other conflicts between people too. In the world we are living now, there are many prejudices and stereotypes when looking at certain things. This is exactly what is happening here in the novel, but just worse. They identify themselves with different colored clothes, and I cannot even imagine this going on in reality. It is a nightmare. I am just hoping that the future of the world of ours would not be this way!!

No comments: